The Balance’s article Pallet Storage Methods in the Warehouse looks at seven commonly used pallet storage systems, including:
- Block Stacking: Pallets are stacked on top of each other on the warehouse floor in lanes or blocks. Pallets are retrieved last-in-first-out (LIFO).
Advantages: The simplest and cheapest storage system- Doesn’t involve racking and works in any warehouse with open floor space
Disadvantages: Bottom pallets are hard to access; Honeycombing can occur (empty spaces are unable to be filled until the entire lane is empty).
- Stacking Frames: Frames made up of decks and posts enable pallets to be stacked several high, even when pallets cannot be stacked directly on top of one another.
Advantages: Can be erected and moved when needed; Useful when temporary racking is needed
Disadvantage: Honeycombing can occur
- Single-Deep Pallet Rack: Most common storage method used today; Loads are stored one pallet deep which allows access to each pallet in the rack.
Advantages: No honeycombing; Convenient access; Can be configured in a variety of ways
Disadvantages: Requires a lot of warehouse floor space
- Double-Deep Pallet Rack: Two single racks are stored next to each other
Advantages: Requires fewer aisles; 2x more storage than single-deep
Disadvantages: Honeycombing may occur; Requires a deep-reach forklift
- Drive-In Rack: Provides 5-10 pallet load spaces; Allows forklifts to drive in and back out of the lanes; Pallets retrieved LIFO
Advantage: Forklift access
Disadvantages: Forklifts have limited space and requires more time to place/remove pallets
- Pallet Flow Rack: Loads are moved from one end of the rack to the other on a conveyor; Each time a pallet is removed, another one takes its place.
Advantage: Allows for first-in-first-out (FIFO) retrieval
- Push Back Rack: Loads are stored in deep aisles using a rail-guided carrier. When pallets are added, the rest are pushed back; When pallets are removed, the rest move forward to replace it.
Advantages: Loads at the front of each lane are ready to be removed
Disadvantages: Pallets in the middle and back are difficult to access
Which storage system is right for you? That depends on the unique needs of your business. The same goes for shipping materials. We can meet all your pallet and crating needs, no matter how unique they are. Contact General Pallets today!